How to enjoy Thanksgiving without getting stuffed like a turkey!
With the holidays coming up shortly, I want to share my tips to help you from gaining weight on turkey day.
1. Do a good cardio workout on Thanksgiving morning.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast with lean protein, high fiber and no sugar.
A protein shake with added fiber and a few raspberries is a good choice.
3. For Thanksgiving dinner when you arrive, focus on eating protein to fill you up as soon as possible, before you have a glass of wine. So look for shrimp cocktail with lemon wedges,raw oysters on the half shell, littlenecks on the half shell, grilled baby lamb chops, etc.
4. AVOID all crackers, chips, cookies, etc. Focus on eating raw veggies such as carrot sticks, celery sticks, pea pods and have Guacamole with them to get your healthy fats.
5. Make sure to drink 2 glasses of water before dinner.
6. When you sit down to eat your Thanksgiving dinner, you will already be half full because of eating the protein, raw vegetables that have fiber and drinking lots of water.
7. When you look at the options for the dinner, choose the palm of your hand for the amount of turkey breast, only have 1 Tablespoon of gravy on it, now choose 2 fistfuls of vegetables, preferably ones that are not starchy such as sautéed or steamed spinach, kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. AVOID white potatoes of any kind. You can have a half a cup of sweet potato. AVOID ALL BREAD AND STUFFING.
8. Eat your turkey first and chew your food very slowly. You should chew eat bite 25 times before swallowing it. By chewing your food properly you are activating your digestive enzymes for good digestion and also signaling your stomach that food is coming. This will make you feel full within about 20 minutes, and prevent you from overeating.
9. After you have finished eating your turkey, put your fork down and have conversation with your family to take a break from eating for 5 or 10 minutes.
10. Now go back and start eating all your vegetables. Chew your food slowly for good digestion.
11. You should be feeling very full and satisfied by now, so you can sip your one glass of wine and enjoy it. Alternate between one sip of wine and one sip of water. This will stretch out your time to enjoy just one glass of wine.
12. At the end of the dinner, you will feel full but not stuffed and you can skip dessert and have a cup of mint tea to settle your stomach and aide your digestion. Enjoy the conversation and sip your tea.
By sticking to this guide you can enjoy your Turkey Day and not gain weight!!